Skincare Mistakes and Fixes
Skincare Mistakes and Fixes
Did you know that not all skin sensitivity is created equal? Some of us really do suffer with it whilst the rest of us are probably just applying too many products. Personally, I’m a great believer that less is more and that a lot of products are unnecessary and potentially harmful as your skin goes into product overload.
I know I have sensitive skin as it has been irritable for as long as I can remember. I can use a product, either on my face or body and know within a few minutes that my skin doesn’t like it. That’s not to say that the product isn’t any good, my skin just reacts badly to it. Certain types of clothing fill me with dread – the tiniest bit of wool or dark jeans and my skin is screaming at me!
According to research we are more likely to suffer from sensitive skin as we get older and our skin gets drier. It’s also at this time that we start using heavier products and introduce more, such as eye creams, that we may not have been using before. So, before our skin starts misbehaving, let’s take a step back and reset our routine and restore your natural balance.
- Applying too many products to your face; this can overexpose your face to a plethora of harsh ingredients, leading to irritation, redness and eczema.
- Applying a ‘heavy’ moisturiser thinking this will hydrate your skin. It’s the emulsifier (the ingredient that keeps the water and oil together in the formulation) that sits on top of your skin, making it feel moisturised but not allowing the ingredients to sink into the skin.
- Going to bed with make-up on; don’t make this a habit! Night is the perfect time for your skin to repair itself but if it’s clogged with make-up and dirt your skin will age faster, and none of us want that.
- Not getting enough sleep; fewer hours = less time for skin to repair leading to breakouts and irritation.
- Unhealthy diet; too many refined sugars, fats and alcohol can mean unhealthy-looking skin!
- Over exposure to the sun. Need I say more?
- Keep it simple. Puremess Mandarin & Oat Cleanser contains coconut and castor oils which gently remove dirt and restore skin’s natural balance. Removing the cleanser with a cotton muslin provides gentle exfoliation so no need for an extra product. Personally, I like to use Puremess Rejuvenating Facial Cream during the day as it contains hyaluronic acid which naturally plumps the skin and then I use Puremess Nourishing Facial Oil at night to allow the amazing ingredients to work their magic.
- Create a bedtime routine that works for you and your skin. Avoid televisions, phones, ipads and strenuous exercise before bed. Keep your room cool to avoid dehydrated skin. If you’re still having trouble why not try rubbing Puremess Sleep Balm on the soles of your feet as you get into bed and easily drift off into dreamland.
- We have all heard this soooo many times before but eat well! Feed your skin from the inside out by eating a diet rich in vitamins and minerals and cutting down on refined sugars, saturated fats and artificial anything!
Finally - Be happy! Happiness on the inside shines on the outside with bright eyes and a radiant complexion.
Lots of love,