Let's have an Autumnal Hygge!
Let’s talk all things Autumn!!
Don’t get me wrong, I love a long hot summer, but I am so ready for Autumn. It’s my favourite time of year – I love to wake up in the crisp and cool mornings to the changing seasonal colours. Some of you may have noticed that I wear orange a lot – and now is the perfect time to wear it even more!
For me, Autumn is all about Hygge – a Danish word embracing all things cosy. In essence, hygge means creating a warm atmosphere and enjoying the good things in life with good friends. Think warm fires, fluffy socks, twinkly lights, hot chocolate, beautifully scented candles and your favourite magazine.
Other times of the year don’t seem to quite bring the magic that Autumn brings. Maybe it’s the transition from Summer dresses to cosy socks, or long hot nights to snuggling on a sofa, but to me it means more time to relax and take care of myself.
The last few months have been challenging for all of us, but we have learned to take daily exercise and get outside where it is safe. At the start of lockdown, a daily walk for me was all about the exercise and not about looking around me. I’m now excited to be out walking surrounded by nature and enjoying what it brings. It’s amazing what you notice when you slow down a bit.
Why not plan an Autumnal Hygge weekend?
It’s easy and will make you feel amazing! Go for a long nature walk and pick some beautifully coloured leaves to make a display with at home. Add a couple of pumpkins and you’re away! Curl up on the sofa with a hot chocolate or chai latte, light a candle and read your favourite magazine – it’s never too early for a Christmas read! Surrounding yourself with warmth is good for the heart and soul. With this in mind we created our very special Cherish gift box. Although it's perfect as a gift for a loved one, it's also extra special to cherish yourself! With the simple Hygge pleasures in mind we have included a pair of fluffy socks, a beautifully scented candle, a hand cream, lip balm and sleep balm. It really is ideal for this time of year!
Hopefully these 2 recipes will help you on your way to a special Hygge day.
Chili Hot Chocolate
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla sugar
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
½ tsp ancho chili powder
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground cardamom
- Sift all ingredients together into a large bowl. Whisk the mixture together to be sure the spices are evenly distributed.
- To serve, stir 3 tablespoons of the mix into 1½ cups (12 ounces) of hot milk. Serve in large mugs. Store the remaining mix in a tightly-sealed jar.
Nuts about Cinnamon Rolls
3 Tbsp butter, melted
⅓ cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
⅛ tsp ground cloves
1 (1-lb) loaf frozen white bread dough, thawed
¾ cup powdered sugar
3 Tbsp mascarpone cheese
1 Tbsp buttermilk
- Brush 1 tablespoon of melted butter over the bottom and sides of an 8 by 8 by 2-inch baking dish. Mix the nuts, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and cloves in a small bowl. Roll out the thawed dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12 by 9-inch rectangle. Brush 1 tablespoon of butter over the dough. Sprinkle the nut mixture over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border along the top and bottom sides. Starting at 1 long side, roll up the dough jelly-roll style, forming a log. Pinch the seam to seal. Cut the log into 9 equal pieces. Arrange the rolls, cut side down, in the prepared baking dish, spacing evenly. Cover the dish with plastic wrap. Let the rolls rise in a warm draft-free area until puffed, about 45 minutes.
- Position the rack in the centre of the oven and preheat to 325ºF.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls uncovered until the tops are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the powdered sugar, mascarpone cheese, and buttermilk in a medium bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Brush the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter over the baked cinnamon rolls and then drizzle the cheese mixture over top. Serve warm.
Don’t you just want to curl up into one of these cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate? A more hygge food does not exist.
I hope you enjoy this time of year as much as I do – please share your favourite things about it – we loving hearing from you.
Happy Hyggeing, Love