The Amazing benefits of Using a Body Scrub
Is a body scrub part of your skincare routine? If not, it should be, and here’s why….
For most of us, our daily skin care routine only includes our face. With so much importance placed on facial skin care the body can sometimes be forgotten! However, don’t forget that our skin is our biggest organ and really deserved to be well looked after. Using a luxurious body scrub, that makes your skin look and feel amazing, is a great place to start.
When used correctly body scrubs work wonders, not just for the body but also the mind. The massage experience of applying a scrub unwinds your body and mind and is thoroughly soothing. Aside from making your skin feel super smooth, body scrubs have plenty of other benefits too.
The natural process of shedding of skin, or desquamation, happens in a constant cycle but its efficacy depends on your skin type, age, the products you are using as well as the environment. This process can be far from perfect, leading to a build-up of dead skin cells, making your skin look dry, dull and rough to the touch.
Body scrubs contain abrasive ingredients, such as salts, sugar or coffee grinds that exfoliate away the dead skin cells from the surface of the skin. This stimulates cell turnover, leaving you with bright and healthy skin. If you suffer from body acne, this process can also help to fade scars as the new cells replace the old.
This is where your body scrub comes in. They provide you with the following benefits:
- Remove dead skin cells leaving smoother, more even skin.
- Encourage skin rejuvenation by exfoliating and removing dead skin cells which encourages the rejuvenation of skin.
- Unclog pores, preventing razor rash and ingrown hairs. If you shave, wax or pluck using a scrub regularly will also help to draw out those pesky ingrown hairs. You can also try using your scrub a day or two before waxing to ease the process.
- Remove cell build up which allows your lotion or cream to penetrate you’re your newly scrubbed skin better, enhancing the moisturiser experience.
- Unclog pores, deeply cleanses skin and prevents body blemishes and breakouts.
- Promote blood circulation, not only keeping the skin looking healthy but helping it to retain its elasticity.
- Relax the mind as well as the body, especially if they contain beautiful natural essential oils. This can help you deal with your stress and boost your mood, rejuvenating your mind, body and soul!
How often should you use a body scrub?
In general, it’s not a good idea to use your body scrub every day, or even every other day as this could lead to drying out and potentially irritating your skin.
How often you should use your scrub really is dependent on your skin type, but for most people once or twice a week is perfect. If you choose a Body Scrub that contains natural ingredients, such as our Grapefruit Body Scrub, which contains Himalayan Sea Salt and Coconut oil, you don’t run the risk of irritating your skin. Using this product with leave your skin smooth and soft, with a beautiful and youthful glow.
Scrubs can also make your suntan last longer, eliminating the dull dead cells and enhancing the look of your tan. Top tip: use your scrub in the evening, after a day in the sun, as opposed to before sun exposure as removing the surface layer of the skin could lead to the risk of sunburn.
How to use a Body Scrub properly
- It’s always best to apply your scrub in the shower as you want to rinse away the exfoliant.
- Apply the scrub to your body in a gentle way, don’t scrub hard, but instead let the scrub itself do the work for you.
- Avoid sensitive areas, such as armpits.
- Concentrate on areas that are rough, such as knees, elbows and backs of arms.
- Don’t forget your feet and hands! Feet in particular, often have a build-up of dead, rough skin. Regularly using a scrub will help to soften and heal them.
- Rinse and pat your skin dry.
- Apply moisturiser!! This is such an important part of the process as your skin is now more susceptible to absorbing them in. Why not try one of our amazing Body Custards, which are jam packed with hydrating ingredients such as beeswax, sea buckthorn and rosehip oils to thoroughly drench your skin with moisture.
Stand back and admire your glowing skin!